Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Syed Hamid apologises for rush hour jams caused by roadblocks
Home Minister Datuk Seri Syed Hamid Albar has apologised to city folk caught in the morning rush-hour gridlock today due to roadblocks on all roads leading to Parliament. he said the police had to take such preventive measure to maintain security.
"I know and I'm sorry that it (the roadblocks) had created a lot of inconvenience to the public, but it was taken in the interest of public safety and security," he said at the Parliament's lobby moments ago.
Thousands of city folk were caught in the morning rush-hour jam due to information received by the police about “security threat” from an illegal demonstration allegedly planned by Pakatan Rakyat supporters.
As a result, 12 roadblocks were set up by the police around the Klang Valley since 2pm on Saturday.
Syed Hamid also said the decision was made based on the numerous statements that had been made by various quarters calling people to demonstrate at Parliament. He said the government had evidence that Pakatan Rakyat intended to interfere with public's interest.
"After the police issued the order (banning PKR defacto leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and his supporters from Parliament), I know Pakatan Rakyat had issued instructions to pull out. We have lots of evidence to show that whatever they do, they (demonstrations) do interfere with public interest," he said.
In defending the police's action in mounting the roadblocks city-wide, Syed Hamid said police had the responsibility to maintain law and order, and to ensure the safety of those attending parliament are protected, as well as security were not jeopardised.
"We are taking strict, preventive measures to ensure safety and security. We can't wait for things to happen. This is for your own good and safety," he said, adding that the people were fed-up with constant threats of rallies and demonstrations.